Monday, August 2, 2010

7.1, done.

I've sort of been lagging behind in my training. Part of this is me not paying much attention to the schedule (like last week I tried running 7 miles on Sunday and failed and then looked at the schedule and realized I was only supposed to run a 5K) and I've been adding weird things (like Bikram) and just generally not doing what I'm scheduled to do. Also there's been a small pub trivia addiction that's been cutting into my time. OH, and also I am lazy. So there's that.

Anyway, so this week, the big goal was to complete my long Sunday run, which was 7 miles. I tacked on a .1 to make it the exact distance of the Falmouth Road Race to prove to myself that I could do it, and I did. My left foot was completely unhelpful, cramping up and staying that way off and on for miles 3.5-7, BUT I did it anyway. My trusty new sidekick, the Garmin Forerunner 110, which my 2 year old HID from me and I almost had to leave the house without (on the verge of tears, too, such a basket case, haha) but was reunited with moments before liftoff, was SO helpful. Without it, I would have run only 6 miles, because I think I miscalculated my run or forgot a side street flourish to tack on a mile, but I realized this mid-run and was able to loop around the cemetery a bunch of times. Andy hopes I didn't do this in a way that ritually raised the dead, but I think we're okay. I didn't hear the opening notes of Thriller as I moved on, anyway.

So! I did the mileage that I need to do for the race. I even did it in an okay time, 1 hour and 23 minutes, just 3 minutes longer than they keep the roads closed to traffic. I can stop freaking out now. Hooray! I think I'll even wait until after this race to start freaking out about the half.

No comments:

Post a Comment