Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things that I am awesome at vs average at

So I had one of Those Days yesterday, where everything I tried to do just came out on the below side of average. My parenting was low on patience, my kids were low on cooperation, and my workouts were non-existent (attempt one) and then injury and corpse ridden (2.) In short, barf.

First, I slept through my window for my morning run, which was not brilliant but not the end of the world.

My first workout attempt was my Tuesday morning class, where the kids are set free in an indoor soccer field with a ton of toys and each other to maul and the moms do a bootcamp style class with a trainer who shouts at us (nicely!) It's called Mommy Rocks and it's at the Tyngsboro Sports Center and if you're local with young kids, you should go, because it's a great workout that goes by quickly, and it doesn't get better than that. I am going to go ahead and proclaim that my arms look about 14% better since I started the class about 3 months ago. AND /plug.

However, Nate was simply not feeling it this morning, and he wailed big time and I could just tell he wasn't going to go for it, so mid warmup I scooped him up, corralled the older one, and hustled them out to the car to go home, where I would then stew about it, still in my workout clothes for a few hours. Ha. Terrible strategy. I did not feel better about this after the stewing.

But! I had to get in my 3 miles from my training schedule in, so I knew that I'd be able to go (sans stroller!) when my husband got home. Whoo! It would be sort of hot but I'd take a shady course and 3 miles isn't too long blah blah blah.

Well. I did the miles, even though I limped the whole way through random hip pain. The real standouts, though, were my crappy mood and the random dead animal obstacle course I was apparently running through. So gross. Big ones! Ones that are not NORMAL on a narrow, not uncreepy path through the woods! Gahhh. Gross.

HOWEVER, I am not behind on my schedule. I got the miles in. I can be awesome and fast later. So that brings me to both topics today: Things I am average at vs awesome at. I am an average runner. I am not fast. I cannot go especially, mindblowingly far. BUT! I am awesome at doing it anyway. I chug along. I have logged 142 miles (in 4 states!) since I randomly decided to run 4 months ago. So there's that, at least.

And this morning's run was way, way better. I skipped the Pet Cemetery route and my hip kept its thoughts to itself and despite the fact that I was lugging my husband's work gear (I dropped off his car at the shop and then ran home) and my iPod kept straining toward freedom and my pants kept falling down, it was a good run. My legs were loose and I even managed some FARTLEK, which is not a piece of IKEA bathroom furniture. Or at least I don't think it is, and I do know my IKEA.

No comments:

Post a Comment